United Roots is hosting a Social Enterprise Intensive this summer, led by Youth Seed! If you are a young person between the ages of 18-28 that has a business idea for your neighborhood then you are eligible to do this training for free! It starts on July 12th, and as part of the training program you will create a business model & strategy, as well as have the opportunity to get an interest-free loan or a $1000 seed grant. United Roots and Youth SEED are also partnering with Impact HUB Oakland to launch a Youth HUB Fellowship, and youth that participate in this summer intensive will be eligible to become a year-long Youth HUB fellow at United Roots this fall. For more info about the summer program go to the Social Enterprise Intensive Facebook Event Page
Join the Youth SEED Intensive July 12, 19 and 29 to develop a social enterprise solution!
Are you passionate about Social Change? Do you see problems in your community that you want to address? Do you have a creative idea that you feel can bring positive change to your hood?
By participating you will:
• Complete a Business Model & Strategy for your social enterprise idea.
• Present a 10-minute pitch / professional presentation for SEED funding (1st Place: $1000, 2nd Place: $500, 3rd Place: $200)
• Become eligible to apply for a KIVA Zip (interest free) loan
• Become eligible to apply for an additional $1000 seed grant from the Pollination Project (project must be environmentally sustainable).
• Gain access to ongoing training & networking opportunities through the Youth HUB
Who is eligible to apply?:
• Young leaders ages 18 to 28 with a clear idea for a Social Enterprise, a project that addresses an economic, social and/or environmental issue (Can be a one time event or an ongoing enterprise)
• AmeriCorps Public Allies alumni of any age are strongly encouraged to apply
• Must be available to attend both workshops and pitch event, and complete at least 10 total hours of weekly assignments in between workshops.
Where: United Roots 2781 Telegraph Ave. Oakland, CA 94612
• Workshops: Saturday, July 12th & 19th 10am-4 pm. Lunch break from 1-2pm. (Lunch not provided)
• Pitch event: Tuesday, July 29 6-8pm
To apply, visit: Youth SEED Intensive Application
This workshop is valued at $500. With sponsorship from Americorps Public Allies, we are offering this workshop for FREE.
For more information, contact aManda Greene: firstname.lastname@example.org 510-688-1392
The Youth SEED Intensive program is based on our belief that young people, especially those most impacted by social inequity are best positioned to develop solutions to the challenges facing their communities. The goal of the program is to build the capacity and skills of some of the Bay Area’s most innovative young leaders to drive solutions to some of the biggest challenges facing our communities. The Youth SEED Intensive is a preview of the Youth HUB fellowship, which Youth SEED is launching this fall in partnership with United Roots and Impact HUB Oakland.
What is the Youth HUB?
The Youth HUB is a co-working space for youth-led social innovation launching this fall in Oakland. Youth SEED will select up to 20 young leaders for a year-long Youth HUB fellowship program focused on social entrepreneurship. The Youth SEED intensive is a fast paced, 10 hour workshop based on the Youth HUB Fellowship, in which participants will develop a business model and pitch presentation for a social enterprise (community benefiting business or project).
What is a Social Entrepreneur?
A social entrepreneur is someone who identifies a problem in the community and uses entrepreneurial principles to organize, create, and manage an enterprise that creates social change. Social entrepreneurs are passionate, innovative, resourceful, and results oriented people who use the strength of the business, nonprofit and technology worlds to develop innovative solutions that maximize their social impact.
In the Youth SEED intensive participants will develop:
• Team Bio’s & Roles
• Mission and vision
• Problem statement
• Solution statement
• Business model canvas
• SWOT analysis/SWOT Strategy
• Marketing goals/plan
• Timeline & Tasks (strategic Plan)
• Measurable change/ Evaluation metrics & process (how will you know you have succeeded?)