Gameheads is a youth program at United Roots’ Youth Impact Hub whose goal is to prepare youth (ages 16-21) for a career in the video game industry. The intention of the Gameheads program is to address the knowledge divide but to do so in a way that is focused on one arm of the tech field: electronic entertainment. Participants of Gameheads will learn how to create, code and design games, building skills across a variety of disciplines from visual art, creative writing, design, programming, sound design, animation, game theory and history.
No experience is necessary to become a Gamehead, but an interest in design, programming, play and a curiosity for what makes video games work is encouraged and sought after. We are especially interested in self-starters, creatives, and people who can take initiative and demonstrate maturity and responsibility.
1. The skills and industry exposure necessary to pursue a career in the video game industry.
2. The skills and industry exposure necessary to pursue a career in the tech industry.
3. The skills and industry exposure necessary to help young people get into post-secondary education and thrive in a S.T.E.A.M. program.
Skill Development in:
Game design Level design
Story design Game theory and history
Computer science/programming Project management
3D modeling Animation
Gameheads was incubated at United Roots’ Youth Impact Hub in 2014 and offers a training program for young people interested in designing video games.
For more information contact the Damon Packwood at email@example.com.
Gameheads will be working in partnership with Berkeley based video game company, MogoTXT this summer. This means that some of the program participants will be working with MogoTXT for 6 weeks this summer to build a game. The other group will be working with the veteran Gameheads at United Roots’ Youth Impact Hub (2781 Telegraph ave, Oakland, CA) and both groups will have an opportunity to connect, learn from each other, share their projects and play some games together. The start date for Gameheads will be the 13th of June. The start date for Summer of Game @ MogoTXT will be announced soon. See below for more details.
Gameheads at United Roots’ Youth Impact Hub Monday, Wednesday & Saturday* 12:00 – 6:00pm
Summer of Game Training Program at MogoTXT Monday – Thursday 10:00 – 4:00pm
* Because Gameheads has greater flexibility, participants have access to the space b/w Monday – Saturday so long as they can work around the other programs in the space. See below for other bonuses for Gameheads.
• Participants get their own PC laptop.
• Participants will have access to several iMacs decked out with programs like Final Cut Pro, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, etc.
• Participants will have access to Studio D for meetings, private work, demo time with your game and play sessions [we call it research].
• Participants will have access to a PS3 and an XBOX 360 with access to over 50 games.
• Participants will work in a space with a Filmmaking Team, Graphic Design Team, Photography Team and Music Studio Team.
• Participants will have access to tech professionals in the video game industry. Once they start making progress on their game these professionals will be available to help them with animation, game design, story design, etc.
• Participants will go on business and research trips to MOaD, The SF Mission District, Oakland Museum, local video game companies and other places to be announced.
• Participants will have access to food and transportation stipends.