We’re in a growth phase to streamline our operations and make our services more efficient. We seek an analytical, process driven and operations-savvy professional to join a dynamic leadership team: the four Co-Directors of United Roots and Program Staff of the Youth Impact Hub Oakland initiative. Our office culture encourages self-care practices, offering meditation and yoga classes to youth and staff. Our facility houses cutting edge media and tech equipment, and we give youth access to these tools. We utilize a collective decision making model, and staff work together to create and develop organizational systems and procedures. The Administrative Assistant will work from our office at 28th St. & Telegraph Ave. in Oakland and interface with staff and youth on a daily basis (our business hours are Monday through Friday from 12:00pm-8:00pm).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
As a small organization, United Roots provides an intimate and collaborative working environment. While the Administrative Assistant will be the point-person for managing the below responsibilities, some of these things only occur on a monthly or quarterly basis, and often times the Operations Committee works together to execute projects.
- Provide administrative, payroll, and accounting support to Operations Director: draft and submit invoices, reimbursements, reconcile petty cash and disbursements, draft and distribute checks, etc.
- Run background checks for volunteers
- Manage the operation of the front office, including: attendance tracking, distribute mail, answering phones, files and archives, etc.
- Data entry and day-to-day management of Salesforce database by ensuring membership records are accurate and entered in a timely manner
- Opening and closing building, set up if center for daily programming activities
- Manage security cameras
- Light cleaning and organizing of center, coordinate with contractors for weekly cleaning
- Gather and empty trash, compost, and recycle bin
- Assist in ordering office & program supplies
- Work with Operations Director to coordinate building maintenance and repairs
- Manage watering system of plants in garden and in center
- Oversee and assist programs using the space and distribute stipends
- Support program staff with coordination of events, youth recruitment and enrollment
- Manage, schedule, set up media labs, check in/out equipment to youth
- Update computers and manage software installation
- Conduct equipment inventory and supervise equipment including organizing storage room, purchases, and repairs
- Assist with outreach, enrollment, social media content, outreach, posting for organization & programs
- Assisting members with computer access, printing, and scanning
- Conduct building orientations for new members
- Prior experience doing administrative work
- Familiarity with working with youth in a community setting
- An understanding of the Oakland community and social justice advocacy
- Ability to manage cash transactions and reconciliation of accounting tracking
- Attention to detail, accuracy and organization. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to data quality and accuracy
- Familiarity with nonprofit organizations
- Written and verbal communications skills
- Basic computer skills and eagerness to learn new things
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Google Apps and QuickBooks Online a plus
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, adaptable – ability to work on a team
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment and can learn new skills to meet the organization’s needs
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- All prospective staff must pass a background check
Works With: Operations Director is the supervisor, also works with Co-Directors and Program Staff of United Roots
Hours/Week: 40 hours, general work schedule is Monday through Friday from 11:45am-8:15pm (and on occasion rearrange schedule to do after-hours and weekends for special events)
Education: Associates degree or equivalent preferred
Years of Experience: 1-3 years in nonprofit or grassroots community sector or 1-3 years in administration or office job, preferably both
Start Date: ASAP
- Salary & benefits equitable to other employees at United Roots and commensurate with experience.
- 10 vacation days a year, plus two weeks paid vacation during Winter Holidays (vacation accrues annually)
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and United Roots’ focus and mission.
- Current resume and references.
United Roots is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin. Women and People of Color applicants encouraged to apply.
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.