We’re in a growth phase to streamline our operations and make our services more efficient. We seek an analytical, process driven and operations-savvy professional to join a dynamic leadership team: the four Co-Directors of United Roots and Program Staff of the Youth Impact Hub Oakland initiative. Our office culture encourages self-care practices, offering meditation and yoga classes to youth and staff. Our facility houses cutting edge media and tech equipment, and we give youth access to these tools. We utilize a collective decision making model, and staff work together to create and develop organizational systems and procedures. The Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper will work from our office at 28th St. & Telegraph Ave. in Oakland and interface with staff and youth on a daily basis (our business hours are Monday through Friday from 12:00pm-8:00pm).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
As a small organization, United Roots provides an intimate and collaborative working environment. While the Bookkeeper will be the point-person for managing the below responsibilities, some of these things only occur on a monthly or quarterly basis, and often times the Operations Committee works together to execute projects.
- Provide accounting support to Operations Director: bookkeeping, pay invoices, reimbursements, reconcile petty cash and disbursements, draft and distribute checks, etc.
- Bookkeeping experience required
- Prior experience working with Quickbooks Online
- Familiarity with working with youth in a community setting
- An understanding of the Oakland community and social justice advocacy
- Ability to manage cash transactions and reconciliation of accounting tracking
- Attention to detail, accuracy and organization. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated commitment to data quality and accuracy
- Familiarity with nonprofit organizations
- Written and verbal communications skills
- Basic computer skills and eagerness to learn new things
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Google Apps and QuickBooks Online a plus
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, adaptable – ability to work on a team
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment and can learn new skills to meet the organization’s needs
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- All prospective staff must pass a background check
Works With: Operations Director is the supervisor, also works with Co-Directors and Program Staff of United Roots
Hours/Week: 8 hours, general work schedule is Monday through Friday from noon-8pm.
Education: Associates degree or equivalent preferred
Years of Experience: 3+ years in bookkeeping in a nonprofit or grassroots community sector
Start Date: ASAP
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following to: email@example.com
- A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and United Roots’ focus and mission.
- Current resume and references.
United Roots is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin. Women and People of Color applicants encouraged to apply.
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.